Monday, April 03, 2006

landscapes


Respectively: Le Jardin de Maubuisson, Pointoise by Paul Cézanne (1877) and Potager, arbres en fleurs, Pointoise by Camille Pisarro (1877)

Weekly I'm painting a subject in Academy. Last week our subject was "Landscape". In a first time I was disapointed because this subject didn't interest me. How to treat a landscape in a modern way? neither worked out as a picture, neither too abstractive as most painters do nowadays???? First I wanted to find a landscape who could inspire me to paint in atelier. My ideas slipped away to all this fine artist of preceding century catching in a subtil manner the essentials of colours and forms. My eyes felt on a review with the nice landscapes of Vincent Van Gogh with his well known way of mixing colours and apearingfull paintbrushes who gives movment to all his paintings. Delightfull, but I don't want imitating him.
Actually runs a famous exposition in Paris with 60 paintings of Paul Cézanne and Camille Pissarro 1865-1885. Imaginated by the after grand-child of Camille conservator of the Modern Museum of Modern Art in New-York, in homage of the friendship between both painters and in the same time to memory the centenary of death of Cézanne. They meats in Paris in 1861 during their artists education. After ten years figthing and déceptions their friendship drives them to collaborate. Paul Cézanne joins Camille Pisarro in Pointoise and during almost twenty years they are painting side by side in nature or in atelier. Its the products of this collaboration you can visit till 28 mai 2006 in musée d'Orsay in Paris. The style of both is so different: large tumultuous paintbrushes for Cézanne and subtil light touches for Pisarro. I'll certainly visit the Museum, meanwhile I'm not longer rabarbativ against the subject.

No comments: